Cosmetic dentistry is the art of transforming a person’s smile from one they are hesitant to show into one of their dreams. The most important part of your first appointment with a cosmetic dentist is to speak freely about your cosmetic goals. You should try to picture your ideal smile and express your thoughts. An experienced cosmetic dentist listens attentively, understands your desires, and will work with you to design your perfect smile.
Your dentist will focus primarily on your concerns, as well as other factors to be evaluated, such as:
- The curvature of your lips
- Teeth staining and discoloration
- Display of your teeth in all environments (smiling, laughing, speaking, and relaxing)
- Facial musculature
- Missing teeth
- Facial dimensions and shape, including asymmetries, relative jaw sizes,…
- Rotated, small, short, chipped or crooked teeth
- Midline of your teeth aligning with the midline of your face
- Unattractive silver fillings
- Gaps between teeth
- Buccal corridor
- The relative size, shape and proportions of the front teeth
You and your dentist can develop a comprehensive plan of action that addresses all your concerns. Various cosmetic procedures, such as teeth whitening, porcelain veneers, tooth colored fillings, and dental implants, can be utilized to make your desires a reality.
To ensure that you and your dentist have the same perfect smile in mind, a custom simulated picture can be created to see the ideal result before you even start. This is called your Smile Design. You are essentially designing your new smile with your cosmetic dentist, so the completed dental work meets your expectations.
As always, please let me know if there are any other dental related topics that you would like me to discuss on my blog!