So, you would like to whiten your teeth, but you aren’t sure if you should.
Teeth whitening is great at removing discolorations caused by:
- Certain foods
On the other hand, tooth whitening may be ineffective in certain situations:
- Discolored dental work: Such as fillings, veneers, crowns, bridges, dentures, and partial dentures
- Staining from tetracycline: If you took tetracycline antibiotics when you were young, your teeth may actually be stained from the medication. Tooth whitening barely works on these discolorations, but results may be achieved using some long-term special whitening products.
- A tooth that had a root canal: A tooth that had a root canal may discolor and become dark over time. After a root canal, the tooth will need a crown, not only to for whitening purposes but also to protect the tooth from fracturing.
- Too young: Under 16 year olds should not have teeth whitening.
- Pregnant and lactating women: Pregnant and lactating women should also not have teeth whitening.
Although the results vary, your smile should become brighter and your teeth should whiten a few shades if you are a good candidate. Your cosmetic dentist will tell you if whitening is right for you and can typically predict your results within a range. Visiting your dentist before whitening your teeth, even if you opt for a product sold at a store, is highly recommended.
About the teeth whitening experience at Lissauer Dental
Our office has been in the Boynton Beach and Delray Beach area for twenty-five years. Over this time, teeth whitening has become an extremely common procedure in our practice and, quite honestly, with great success. With the technology available today, teeth whitening has become very predictable and obviously much quicker with options like Zoom®. If you are interested in brightening your smile, we are more than happy to meet with you for a complimentary whitening consultation. We offer Zoom, which is completed in our office in about an hour while you watch your favorite shows on our ceiling mounted TVs. With Zoom, we also provide complimentary custom trays that you can use at home for future touch-ups. In addition, we provide you with a complimentary tube of teeth whitening gel for those touch-ups. If you have any questions or would like to schedule a consult, please feel free to contact us: