Conventional Porcelain Veneers are thin, custom-made shells of beautiful porcelain that are bonded to the front of your teeth. In the process, your cosmetic dentist will slightly shave down a very small layer of the front of your teeth (around 0.5 mm, the width of a pencil tip) in order to create space for the thin piece of porcelain.
Advantages of Conventional porcelain veneers:
- Beautiful and natural looking: Porcelain veneers allow you to makeover your smile.
- Perfect dimensions and shape: Since a small layer of your tooth is shaved down (around the width of a pen tip), the veneers are not bulky and will replicate the dimensions and contour of properly shaped natural teeth.
- Durable: The highest quality porcelain is used to withstand strong biting forces. Most people don’t realize that porcelain is actually harder than enamel.
- Stain resistant: The highly polished porcelain will be stain resistant to common irritants like soda, tobacco, wine, some foods, and coffee.
Disadvantages of Conventional porcelain veneers:
- Can chip or come off: Conventional porcelain veneers can possibly break and even come off. Patients with veneers need to be careful to protect their smile and their investment. Even though veneers are bonded very strongly to your teeth, you should not use your veneers to tear open a bag, rip a piece of a bagel off, or chew hard foods.
About the veneers experience at Lissauer Dental:
A beautiful smile makeover starts with an excellent relationship between you and your cosmetic dentist. Our office prides itself on our welcoming environment, where you feel at ease and relaxed. Before we even provide our opinion, we want to know your aesthetic goals, worries, desires and concerns. If you are interested in a smile makeover, we are more than happy to answer any questions and provide a complimentary evaluation to explore the possibility of veneers.