Some people will need to use denture adhesive to help hold the denture or partial denture in place. Your dentist should tell you if denture adhesive is necessary and instruct you in using a product.
Denture Adhesive Products:
Numerous denture adhesive products exist, like Fixodent and Poligrip. Although similar in concept, different people find one works better than the other.
How to Apply Denture Adhesive:
1. Dry the denture or partial denture
2. Apply a thin smear on the inside of the denture or partial denture
3. Quickly place the denture or partial denture in running water for one second
4. Place the denture or partial denture in the correct position and press firmly, holding for ten seconds
5. How much is too much denture adhesive? You should only use a smear of denture adhesive that thinly covers the inside surface, as directed on the packaging.
6. What if denture adhesive does not work? You should meet with your dentist to make a new denture or partial denture. Your best option may be implants to help hold the denture or partial denture. (Learn more about implant dentures.)
7. What if you dislike denture adhesive but nothing else works? You should consult your dentist to discuss different options. Again, a good option may be implants to help hold your denture or partial denture in place.
How implants have changed the way I make dentures:
Over twenty-five years ago, my wife and I moved to south Florida from Boston, where I attended and taught at Tufts Dental School. My office has been located in the Boynton Beach and Delray Beach area since moving to Palm Beach County. In my practice, implant dentures have become a common dental procedure. New patients will present to our office with an ill-fitting denture or partial denture. We are often able to use dental implants to drastically improve its comfort and fit. The implants serve as an anchor and hold the denture in place while chewing and speaking. Quite honestly, our patients typically cannot understand how they used to cope with their old denture before implants. If you have an uncomfortable denture or you are considering a new denture, partial denture or implant denture, we would gladly provide a complimentary evaluation: